Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Facebook

Life online

As you click your own profile and scroll down a few pages, you can't help but facepalm yourself and wail wwhhhhyyy. I've been using facebook for about seven years now and the stupid things I've done just stacks year after another. Honestly though, I feel that they were all great memories. Memories in which I wouldn't want to forget, ever. The friends, pictures, posts, status's, links, chats, likes they were all pieces of whom I really was. Although, that would only apply to myself. Only I would know who I am best and only I would understand how my profile was constructed. Facebook doesn't define who I really am but, it plays the avatar of myself. Agreeably, people can assume the person I am by the construction of my profile but that wouldn’t define me as a person. I believe human characteristics cannot be computed in any way because human behavior and mind is far more complex than the cyber world can portray. That is what separates us from the cyber world and reality. Another reason why my FB profile wouldn’t satisfy my true identity is that people have different ways of viewing things, in this case facebook profiles. My parents would view my profile completely differently from those of my close friends. For example my parents would not be able to understand some of the things I like as such as online jokes whereas my friends would and vice versa. I feel that the social networks should push toward never allowing people to put their full identity of themselves on social websites. Simply because it is dangerous. It will make you vulnerable to the infinite network of the cyber world. The cyber world is growing big and fast dangerously and we must be aware of this when we create our profiles. Facebook profiles may include parts of our identity but we must be aware of the fact that profiles are only profiles… avatars… masks nothing more…

No comments:

Post a Comment